Monday, September 30, 2019

Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride Perth 2019


The Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride is an international charity event for men's health. The charity raises money for men's mental health and prostate cancer research. All around the world, riders dress up in their finery and participate in an organized ride. Details can be found here: https://www.gentlemansride.com/

I have wanted to participate for many years, but for various reasons I've never been free on the date. The last two years I've in Adelaide participating in the Bay to Birdwood. Before that it was the AFL grand final and ... who knows what else. This year I was free and registered on the Friday night before the Sunday ride. Surprisingly four people sponsored me in that short time. Thank you guys!

A number of us met at Brandos Cafe in East Victoria Park for coffee and chit chat.

Were there ever more distinguished gentlemen?

The ride was conceived as open to classic motorcycles and scooters, but who rides a classic motorcycle? There were a lot of modern, but classic styled machines participating.

Rick rolling

James and his amazing Honda Spacey. He didn't realize participants were supposed to dress up.

CHiPS

Getting ready to set off

The Ariel drew a lot of attention. It is distinctly different from all other motorcycles.

Who'd have thought there would be a second Honda Spacey on the road in Perth??

Richard G and his magnificent Durkopp Diana scooter. It's a sexy beast.

Classic Scooter Club attended with a large contingent. This Lambretta is particularly lovely.

Vespa

Quadrophenia

James looking cool as a cucumber

Tony W on his 1963 Triumph custom by Keiwa.

It was huge turnout

The Ariel rests. It performed well up to here....

Speeches at the Optus Stadium grounds. It would have been better if someone had bought a PA.

Myself and the distinguished gentlemen, James, Richard and Rhys.







Form an orderly queue



Tony the motorcycle champion

There were few classics in attendance so this BSA really caught my eye.

Beginning to get ready to ride. Sadly for me, this turned out to be the end of the road. The slow going in convoy led the engine to begin to overheat and then the engine began to race uncontrollably whenever I put the bike in neutral, which was a lot given the slow progress. The engine also began to smoke a lot, so after putting up with it for about 10 minutes, I decided it would be best to head straight home. I've been pretty sure the seals around either the gearbox or the carburetor have deteriorated and need replacing for some time, but as I don't often ride the bike I've been putting the job off. But now that I'm planning on riding more often, I think it's time to bite the bullet.

Richard motoring away

Part of the journey I missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment