Wednesday, July 22, 2020
DKW Meisterklasse Project - Update June 2020
The corona virus lockdown has given me a lot more time to work on the New Meisterklasse project. For earlier updates, check out these links: https://dkwautounionproject.blogspot.com/2020/04/dkw-meisterklasse-project-update-april.html
As mentioned in earlier posts, the rusty floors have been replaced by solid metal. I must thank Ken Feast for his excellent work. The floor is very solid now and we can expect it to last for many more decades without problems. He also painted the floors and underbody with primer for me.
The rear floor did not need any metal work.
My wife Shelly has also been an active participant in the restoration work we are undertaking.
After cleaning up we have painted the floors in black anti-rust paint.
Looking good. Reproduction carpets / mats no longer exist so I have acquired some rubber matting and will fit it to shape shortly.
Nice and clean and ready to fit the new mats.
The engine in the car was seized so I had the cylinders sitting with diesel and penetrating oil. It really didn't achieve much and remained stuck fast. After removing all the bolts holding the block to the crankcase and spraying penetrating oil into the seal I was finally able to lever a screwdriver into the gap. After a lot of levering, the block began to move.
With a little bit of levering, more oil, and more levering each day, the block slowly began to move. Funnily enough, although the left hand piston was the one that was originally seized fast (diesel in the cylinder would not seep through, while it would easily penetrate in the right cylinder). once the block began moving however, the right piston stubbornly refused to move, eventually splitting at its base.
Millimeter by millimeter the block slowly came away
Until it finally popped off.
An examination of the pistons and their wear in the block suggest that the engine was probably run without oil in the fuel until it overheated and seized.
I was very excited when the engine block came away!
Update 18 May 2020
The boot had obviously been leaking for years and the back of the seat and the parcel shelf had rotten out. Note the white cloth handling down - that is the headliner, which is basically just white cloth.
I've filled the gaps with MDF paneling. Looks neat.
Now the wooden storage shelf is back in. It's pretty oily and greasy, but I've left it 'as is.' I've put rubber matting on the floor. The box in the back is a set of DKW hubcabs.
Wheels are off now as I plan to work on the brakes. The front axles need to come out anyway so that the engine can come out.
I hadn't noticed this before, but one of the rear wheel hubs comes from a later model. I need to find a spare wheel hub anyway. I've sourced tyres from our good friend, Richard's Tyrepower: https://www.richardstyrepower.com.au/
Update 19 June 2020
The rear seat was in a terrible state with springs completely rusted, rotten and falling to pieces.
From the top you can see how bad the interior is. Rusted and broken springs are pushing up against the vinyl.
After unpicking and removing the vinyl, the original seat was exposed. The original cloth seat had obviously worn through on its leading edge so the worn edge was covered with padding and new vinyl overlaid over the original seat. The seat was filled with horsehair and straw, which was absolutely rotten. That's all gone in the bin.
The metal spring frame was completely rusted and unsalvageable. After a lot of searching on the internet for advice on repairs and restoration, I came up with a new plan.
The only salvageable part, except the vinyl, was the frame.
The frame was rather rotten and falling apart and needed a lot of sanding and preparation. I used metal brackets to make it solid again.
I decided there was no point in building a spring frame, so put in a plywood floor on the seat frame.
The plan comes together
The restored frame.
The spring seat frame was replaced with a custom foam insert from https://www.foamsales.com.au/. Foam Sales in Norma Road, Myaree did a great job and provided excellent service. The foam I used was 38-200, over which I applied Dacron cushioning.
The interior of the vinyl was dirty and moldy but it cleaned up well with soapy water and disinfectant.
The Dacron filling
The foam backing was inserted and the vinyl re-stretched over the frame.
The vinyl is reattached.
I am very happy with the outcome. It looks great
And it goes back in the car. Another job done!