Hanomag was a German truck and tractor manufacturer who ventured into personal vehicles in the mid-1920s. The Hanomag 'Kommisbrot', introduced in 1924 was the first car in a generation to be powered by a rear-mounted engine. The idea would be picked up and explored by In the 1930s they pioneered the use of diesel engined cars, achieving a number of world records.
In the aftermath of the Second World War, Hanomag focused exclusively on truck manufacture. However, they did initiate a project to develop a budget passenger car suitable to the times. Hanomag's first and only post-war car had a number of quite unusual features. Firstly it was powered by triple cylinder 697cc two-stroke motor delivering 28 horsepower driving through the front wheels. Seating was provided for three adults sitting across a large bench seat, divided for three. Behind the bench seat was sufficient room for two small children on folding jump seats. In the absence of children, there was luggage space behind the seats. The body was manufactured in steel by Karmann of Osnabruck.
The Partner was unveiled at the 1951 International Automobile Show in Frankfurt, which was the first international car show held in Germany since the Second World War. 20 prototypes were built and 6 were on display. Unfortunately, the car did not progress into production and Hanomag scrapped all the prototypes bar one.
The report of the IAA in Motor und Sport: https://heinkelscooter.blogspot.com/2013/12/motor-und-sport-magazine-germany-1951.html