Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Despite finding itself on the wrong side of the 'Iron Curtain', the East German car industry never gave up on dreams of export success. VEB cars and motorcycles were exported to countries in Europe and Scandinavia, but sales overall were small. Additionally, political pressure from the US and Western nations, shut the East Germans out of many potential markets. Without access to the hard currency that foreign exports could bring in, the motoring industry was cash strapped and stagnated. While East German car exports weren't particularly successful, IFA trucks and commercials proved to be better exports, especially in the Middle East and Asia.
This export report was targeted towards the European market, being printed in English, French, Flemish, German and Spanish. This English version was sent to a Mr Lenz in Palm Springs, California in January 1965.
Saturday, August 24, 2013
The Champion motor company was first established in 1946 by motorcylce engineer, Otto Maisch to build a budget motorcar. Several prototype cycle cars were developed and tested over the next couple of years, none really making it into production. The company was always teetering on the verge of insolvency and changed hands three times in three years before Champion produced its first viable vehicle, the Champion 400 in 1951. Powered by a rear mounted 398cc JLO two-stroke engine, the Champion 400 was a handsome and streamlined two-seater coupe. In 1953, the JLO engine was replaced by 398cc Heinkel two-stroke engine, the same type powering the contemporary Tempo Hanseat tricycle. This became known as the Champion 400H. A larger engined kombi version, the 500G was also manufactured.
In 1955 the Maisch brothers retook control of Champion and bought it under their Maico motorcycle brand. They decided to release an improved, enlarged sedan version of the car as the Maico 400 and 500. In terms of size and comfort, the Maico 500 was an improvement over its predecessor, but the car was dogged by mechanical problems, which required a complete redesign of the front end and suspension.
The Maico 500 was widely exported. It was sold in the US by the Whizzer Company.
In Argentina it was built under license as the Alcre Susana 500.
It was even exported to Egypt.
Despite selling over 6500 cars, Maico could not compete with the larger manufacturers and, unable to raise additional capital, was forced to rationalise its product line. By 1958 Maico stopped manufacturing cars and scooters, such as the Maicomobil and Maicoletta, and their over engineered prestige motorcycles, like the Typhoon, in order to concentrate on tough trail and racing bikes. In this way they were able to stay in business long after many other German motorcycle giants, such as DKW, had bitten the dust. They finally shut down in 1986.
Maico 500s continue to show up all over the world. This unmolested example went up for sale in eastern Europe in 2013.